Tuesday, June 27, 2017

AHIQ Challenge, June 27

DELAY AND SURPRISE 

My AHIQ Callenge Two top was finished, but there was a delay in finding the right fabric, at the right price of course.  It recently arrived and I'm very happy with the choice.  Here it is with the folded quilt top.


I'm very happy with the choice, a stylized floral.  I bought enough for the backing as wall.

Meanwhile, I got sidetracked on another improv project which will become a charity donation.  In short, it was a challenge to myself to use these ugly pieces or throw them out.  I nick named the donated  repro strips and unwanted neutral 4-patches as tossed salad and soggy crackers.  See below.


What quilter could toss out these pieces?  Not I.  Suddenly the solution came to me, the way to combine them.  So I made these cross blocks to use the 2-inch strips and the patches.  The sashing and binding are from a piece bought years ago to make a dress.  It was exactly the extra something needed to tie the blocks together.  I finished it in just a week.


This top will go to  Kat and Cat Quilts.  Kat is a nurse at a large Texas hospital and her Covered In Love charity gives donated quilts to dying patients and their families, such a beautiful cause. I'm so pleased that these unwanted scraps have become a quilt to give comfort to a grieving family.

So this is my impromptu improv quilt to share this month.  I will definetly share my Challenge Two finish next month.  Thank you, Kaja and Ann,  for making Ad Hoc Improv Quilts a place where we can get encouragement to do what inspires us.  
Please have a look at Ad Hoc Improv Quilts doings at  Kaya's blog,  Sew Slowly, or Ann's blog, Fret Not Yourself




10 comments:

  1. I agree - what a great use for those unwanted scraps (and what a fun visual with the salad and crackers).

    ReplyDelete
  2. your wonky houses have worked so very well and the improv quilt is lovely too. Wonky houses are on my to do list one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fabric you have bought to go with the wonky houses (so much that I'm pretty sure I have bought the same one). Your picture of salad and crackers almost tricked me for a moment, then made me grin. Thanks for linking up with AHIQ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a numpty, I thought you were posting pics of your lunch when you mentioned salad and crackers, good job I finally have an appointment to get my eyes sorted. I love your improv work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful choice for background fabric. I'm on the lookout for greens myself. What a cute name for your leftovers and a great design to use them up. I agree we need to use these bits rather than tossing them. It turned out beautifully. I like the way the sashing, crosses and four patches make such a dimensional effect. Thanks for linking these with AHIQ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good use of those scraps! Your name for them made me smile.:) The floral background fabric is a great choice! I can see why you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great solution for your scraps! At first glance I thought the bowl on the left was guacamole and the one on the right was chips! lol. When I read your description I had to laugh again! I'm sure it will be well appreciated by it's recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, maybe it started out with an unappetizing name/look but it should now be called something much more appetizing. Chef salad and crackers, maybe? Soggy crackers is just not a great name for such a pretty quilt, especially one for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your wonky houses and the way you've combined them with the randomly pieced blocks. Your charity quilt from leftovers is quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the soggy crackers and wilted salad quilt. What you might have fallen out of love with someone else will think is perfect!

    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete