Friday, September 15, 2017

RSC17 week 37

A TOUCH OF ORANGE

I've been very busy this week with quilting, but not with orange.  So I'll show you my bit of orange now.   In preparation for making my orange Folded Box  I did pick out my fabric choices today. This is how they compare with my blue Folded Box.



Getting down to business, I  recently got a friend to help me pin my Mile a Minute quilt.  I used a purchased fleece blanket for backing/batting.  I took for granted that the blanket was 50x60 inches, as stated on the label.  Bad mistake.  It was a couple of inches less in both directions and was just barely large enough for the flimsy.  Lesson learned.  I stitched the perimeter to secure it, which helped, and the quilting itself went like a dream with my faithful walking foot.  But the binding was really tough to do.  So I still hate binding.  But the entire job got done this week.




This Mile a Minute method has become a favorite, especially the chain piecing of scrap to scrap.  My other favorite is a row quilt, which I've used for a number of Project Linus quilts.  With one more fleece blanket left I decided to leave the walking foot in place and finish my charming pink and purple girl's row quilt.  My friend and I measured the fleece first this time.  We had room to spare for the top, but to be sure, I trimmed both the width and length a bit.  

After a follow up dental visit today I got a tall guy in our building to hold up both quilts for photos, so this is the pinned row quilt with ample fleece on all sides. 


One sweet moment happened this weekend, when my granddaughter and her visiting exchange student from Japan came over to visit.  This charming girl was delighted when she saw the Japanese dolls on the row top. I told her about the amazing quilting that is done in Japan.  We all had a really special visit.  

As soon as I get this second fleece quilt finished I will put my quarter-inch foot back and continue with orange.  But it is so satisfying to see these Project Linus quilts finished in time for our October charity quilt collection.  

A few of the trees are starting to get fall color.  I hope that will be an encouraging sight to many of you who have been shocked and saddened by the storms.  As expressed by officials in disaster areas, Please qdo help the victims by sending money, not quilts, which may end up in waste piles.  Our postage cost alone can purchase needed supplies in bulk.  Please send your donation to a charity you trust.  

I am linking up with
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at


14 comments:

  1. Congrats on the finishes ; always a good feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mile a minute quilt looks great! Isn't it funny that your visiting student came all the way here to learn about the great quilts being made back home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think those oranges will be perfect for the star block, Paula! And your Mile a Minute quilt turned out great, in spite of the fleece being the wrong size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great finish. Binding does always seem to be harder than it should. Glad you got it done though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the idea of using a fleece blanket for the backing and binding!! May have to give that a try in an upcoming donation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many nice projects Paula, and of course I love your Mile a Minute quilt. I do agree with you it is my all time favourite block to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Mile a Minute is beautiful! I love all the different colors together. I can see why she loved the Japanese dolls. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Mile a Minute is beautiful! I love all the different colors together. I can see why she loved the Japanese dolls. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute charity quilts - good on you for persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finishes Paula. I just love those folded box blocks. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very fun quilts! Congrats on getting a finish and an almost finish. Happy stitching this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such perseverance, Paula. I, too, hate binding compared with the rest of the process, but what a lovely finish you got! I think you did a good job pointing out that the contents aren't always what it says on the package. Even packaged batting can be off by several inches both ways so buyer beware.

    And thank you for speaking out about sending money vs. quilts to disaster areas. Emergency situations are quite different when you are displaced vs. in your home. I agree the money goes farther to meet their immediate needs in crisis.

    Now keep quilting so you can move on to your orange, my friend, and have fun.

    ReplyDelete