Friday, November 10, 2017

RSC17 week 45

BATIKS GALORE

This week I was getting tired of making little trees with tiny flip triangles.  I looked through my stash to find something to reduce some of my ever-encroaching fabric.  I also wanted to start a new quilt for Covered In Love.  

I have a big bin full of batiks, mostly jelly roll strips in muted colors.  They've been sitting around for years.  So I dug into them and decided to make blocks. I fold the strip into four and measure this folded piece at 10-1/2 inches, and trim off the excess at the end with the selvages and one fold.  With my scissors I also cut through the other looped end and have four equal strips.  No rotary cutting needed.  Then I chain pieced pairs of these strips.  


To make about a 60 X 60 inch top I needed 15 strips of five pairs,  (I know that's only 50 inches, but there will be borders.)   I felt that these pieces with a lot of brown could use a spark of orange, so I've been inserting narrow strips of bright orange batik randomly.  I also staggered the blocks like bricks.


This went together so quickly that I finished one third of the top in no time.  I'm very happy with it.  There are so many prints and colors it reminds me of an Impressionist painting.   



So that's my contribution to RSC17 November brown and darks.  I'll be checking out your exciting posts for more new ideas.

Come join the scrappy fun at
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at








 

20 comments:

  1. That is going to be wonderful. It's amazing how beautiful our "scrap" quilts can turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super idea! This is going to be beautiful. Love the bright orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty, Paula! Your addition of the orange is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant idea for cutting your strips. I like the orange insertions; they lift the blocks up to unthought-of heights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great idea and such amazing colors! It’s just beautiful. I set heart eyes here, LOL!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful colors and color combinations! And a great way to use up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to use up those old jelly rolls. I like the added orange too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I just LOVE the strippy quilt that you are creating!! Seems like it is coming together quickly. MUST keep this technique in mind for my next Donation Quilt!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a good idea to add the perky orange vertical breaks. And such beautiful layout and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lovely set of fabrics, and I think the simple piecing really shows them off. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this, Paula. I have a thing for brown. It seems to be one of the largest collection of colors in my stash but have I ever made a quilt using browns? Nope! I might have to try your method here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! I love the simplicity of the blocks, and the pops of bright orange set it off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neat way to use jelly roll strips and lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the spark of orange in the strips.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those little pops of orange are perfect! I'm always a sucker for batiks, so this really makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cheddar orange really sets off the strip fabrics. Great choice! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the jewel tones you used. The orange sets them off nicely. It's going to be a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an easy design. The orange brings it to life. Well done...

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a fun quilt. The little pops of orange really add a lot!

    ReplyDelete