Friday, January 12, 2018

RSC 18 week 2

2017 FAVORITES

Having seen so many year end reviews by my quilting friends, I went through my own pics to choose my five top favorites.   This includes only totally finished quilts, which leaves out some of my most popular ones, still in the works.  

Of course, this post allows me to delay showing my latest projects, which amount to very little at the moment.  If I really get going I may be able to fill in the last two Saturdays this month.  I'm doing the Scrap Attack, which is a fun way for me to have workable monthly goals.  I've never done anything about goal setting before, so I expect to make a good dent in my UFOs.

Number five is my first Ad Hoc Improv Quilt challenge piece.  This was using Chinese coins in an improv way.  I added extra components, including a rising sun and orange bits of light representing sprouting seeds.  A number of the strips were pieced horizontally also, to break up the straight lines in the dark earth.  I call it Seeds of Hope.



In fourth place I chose a Color Works pattern, using a collection of fat eighths which were getting dusty.  I called it Type Face because of its colorful variety of typewriter keys of all sizes.  I sent the top to Kat for her Covered In Love charity.  She had it quilted by her generous friends in Texas, and the chaplain of the hospital where she works presented it to a grieving family.  




Number three is what started out as a crayon quilt.  I pieced all the rows but didn't get around to making the points.  So it was easier to make a rainbow, another Project Linus piece.  



My choice for second place is the set of 16-patch blocks from RSC16.  Yes another Rainbow.  In my stash I found a bright banana print and added corner 9-patches to make it a good size.  I backed it with  a monkey print fleece.  I hated giving it up, but some child is enjoying it now.





My number one for 2017 was a super easy choice, my Summer quilt for my own bed.  I had collected a group of Kaffe Fassett precuts and used them to make large blocks.  I had it longarmed by a member of my guild, Monona Quilters.  I'm so happy with it, and it has turned out to be warm enough to use year round.  



Looking back, it was a good year for my quilting output.  I really enjoy doing charity quilts now that my family has been supplied.  I loved seeing so many truly special quilts that so many of you have made.  It's like an ongoing quilt show each week.  I know that 2018 is going to be an even better year for all of us.  

I'll be waiting to see what everyone has done at
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at
and
katandcatquilts.blogspot.comCovered In Love


19 comments:

  1. ALL beautiful ; I especially love that sun and seeds idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a great year! I still love the one that started out as crayons. You deserve to enjoy that Kaffe quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all these colorful beauties, especially the Kaffee one! I'm looking forward to seeing what you bring us in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed seeing your colorful projects again, Paula! You are so generous with them. I especially live the improv one with the rising sun at the top - it is so striking! Do you have it hanging up in your home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, some of those bring back memories (the crayons, LOL), but hands-down my favorite is yours too. Glad your Kaffe is keeping you warm! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great round up of your work over 2017 Paula. I love the bright colours you use, your quilts are always so happy and cheerful. I especially love Seeds of Hope, to me it makes a statement. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do have a great year of quilting. So glad that you found good homes for so many of your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck for another fantastic year of quilting in 2018!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to see your top five all together like this, Paula! So much pretty eye candy. The fact that several were charity quilts makes my heart happy. Thank you for sharing your time and talents! You deserve to keep the Kaffe as a fitting reward :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilts you've chosen for your Top 5. I especially like your first choice, good to know you have kept it for yourself. Good luck with your Scrap Attack sign up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved seeing all your rainbows on this chilly, dreary morning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were really busy! Great variety.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the bright colors you use! That banana print is lots of fun, and great that you found a monkey print to go on the back! Looking forward to a great 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love to see your bright and colorful quilts Paula. It was fun seeing your Kaffe Quilt again. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have made so many beautiful quilts Paula. Once the family have enough what better way to keep us Happy... make charity quilts....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you showed your top 5 favorites. Your top one would be my first pick, too. I love how you represented the light! And I agree that being out here in QBL is like a new quilt show every week. Aren't we lucky to be living in an age where it's easy to share our joy of quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the way you made an art quilt from Chinese Coins. It's something I still hope to try. Thanks for the reminder. All your quilts are lovely, especially the blue bandana border on the nine-patches. Yum. I'm glad you kept one for your own bed. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in
    traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete