Friday, January 26, 2018

RSC18 week 4

STARS AND STRIPS

I love the Sawtooth Star block because of the variations, especially using a central focus fabric.  The first one I made last year was a  random color choice, not a Rainbow Scrap Challenge selection.



When I was deciding what blocks to use for RSC18, I chose this block.  For my January light blue blocks I made the first one by adding pink to complement the Kaffe Fassett fabric, one of my favorites. Matching the blue would have been impossible, at last with my limited stash.



My second block used this lovely fussy-cut medallion.  I apparently was not quite fussy enough, but was determined to use it.  



This week it occurred to me that I have never made any strip pieced blocks. Then I saw Kat's call for these blocks for Covered In Love, http://katandcatquilts.blogspot.com/.

I do have miles of strips taking up space and found some ugly fabric to use for the foundation, another way to shrink my  stash.  (This is my year of no fabric purchases.)  

Here are the three strip blocks I made in no time at all, and I cut up several other 10-1/2 inch backing pieces.  


I don't know why it never occurred to me to make these blocks years ago, but better late than never. My stash is already thanking me. 

My Scrap Attack choice for this month is my Geese Migration quilt and I started Quilting it today.  So I will have that finish to show you next week.

I'm linking up with
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at
and
katandcatquilts.blogspot.comCovered In Love




19 comments:

  1. Using up your scraps. I hope to get some of these QAYG blocks done this year..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blocks! I do love string blocks and piecing them on a fabric foundation should keep them from being too stretchy. I always make mine on paper that gets torn away so I have to be careful not to distort them. Can't wait to see the finished Geese Migration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stars are a great pattern to play with, and I love the blue ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stars are so pretty! I'm having fun choosing where to cut for the centers of mine, too. I'm planning to make some string blocks for Kat, too - time to get those started. Can't wait to see your Geese Migration quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great star and string blocks you got done this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It feels so good to move out those long harder strips. You string blocks look great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, these are fun to see. I like your use of a focus fabric in your stars. I'm just now getting into the RSC and paying lots of attention to what everyone is doing. I have decided to do strings after dithering quite a bit. I figure it's a way to break into a new habit gently. I like your idea of further reducing the stash with "ugly" fabric foundations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sawtooth stars are one of my very favorites - I love yours with the snazzy centers!
    Those string blocks look like fun to make. One of these days I'm going to give it a try, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Sawtooth Stars too. They are so versatile. Looks like you will have a quilt's worth in no time.

    And I've been on "no buy" too since I retired last March! It's not easy to resist some sales!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your sawtooth stars, great fabric choices. I've never tried this block but you are tempting me with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have fun making those String blocks for Covered in Love!! I'll be looking forward to seeing your Geese Migration quilt next week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oo, pretty stars! And I love the fun things peeking out of your string blocks: whales, flowers and tiny wrapped gifts. Someone will enjoy finding those little surprises :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have been very productive. The Sawtooth Stars are great - love your idea of picking out a colour from the centre fabric to use for the star points- really makes the star pop. I am hooked on making string blocks- I made another couple of blocks last week but the QAYG variety. Good luck with quilting your latest finish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty stars! They're going to make a great-looking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i put the stars in each of of my grands quilts

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful stars Paula, specially the one with the fussy cut center.
    I love string blocks and those three are a good begin. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to see your finished Geese migration quilt. Your star blocks are looking great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your star blocks look great! I am all about using my stash but I honestly couldn't imaging not doing any stash enhancement for a whole year. I think I would start having withdrawal symptoms. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in
    traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete