Friday, February 2, 2018

RSC18 week 5

 LIGHT BLUE FINISH

Icy blue is a better name for this January RSC18  color.  It's the color of my fingers after five minutes outside.  I can't recall such a long cold winter.  Good for quilting work anyway.  

However, my brain must have had frostbite because I completely forgot to finish my RSC18 week 3 post.  So here is my 10-inch Churn Dash block in light blue.  



I'm not sure if I'm going to continue this block monthly.  I'm trying to be consistent with my block sizes, preferably at 8 inches finished.  This allows me to mix and match them as needed.  That is my go-to size.  

This Sawtooth Star is definitely on the list.  I like making it with flying geese piecing, four fewer seams to goof up, as you will notice below.  I love choosing a central focal point, especially if there are some sparks of other colors.




  The 16-patch is on of my very favorites.  I'm happy with scrappy.



For my Christmas gift to myself I bought three books on improv quilting, all on sale of course.  I've been really inspired by Intuitive Color and Design by Jean Wells.  She is one of the masters of art quilting and includes assignments for each of several design principles.  I can recommend it for any of you who want to stretch your design boundaries.

Last year, or maybe in 2016, I made ten improv blocks according to Angela's color choices.  I will need twenty for a quilt, a good goal for this year.

Here is the 8-1//2-Inch improv block I ended up with.  I started out with lighter blue scraps, but this block wanted to go darker as well.  Sorry, Angela.  


One more strip block just snuck in.



This is going to be a great year for Rainbow Scrap Challenge and I've just pulled out my purples.

Can't wait to see all the lovely purole piecing this month, along with all the hearts.  Now if only they were filled with chocolates...

Please check out the quilt goodies at
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at




18 comments:

  1. Great collection of blocks. Particularly like the Sawtooth star, the pretty centre is so attractive. Good idea to make a selection of blocks in the same size-you will create an interesting quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Churn Dash and the fussy cut center of your Sawtooth star. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection of scrappy blocks! The fussy cut center is very pretty in the star block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I'm not alone in loving the center of your Sawtooth Star block! All of your blocks are fun to look at, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bust out laughing at your first sentences. I am freezing here too lol !

    All the blocks look great:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty blue blocks Paula!
    Stay warm and sew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are all great blocks Paula, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Off to a great start already! Blues look great. Purples are sure to be fabulous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you had icy blue fingers last month, what's going to happen during PURPLE month?!?! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such pretty and fun projects on the go. I really like the blue churn dash.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks are so pretty in blue. I really like the stars. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to do my stars with my CG Flying Geese ruler, and even find it's worth adapting it patterns that use a different method. Your fussy cut center really pops this block. Ditto on being tied to a BOM or QAL this year. I want to do what I want this year, too. Let's have a great year of creative sewing! Keep going with your improv, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ice blue blocks. We have been extra cold here, Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scrappies are my favourite and you have some lovely ones there. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely centre in your star block Paula. I do love your improv, you have been on such an interesting journey the last year or so and I look forward to seeing more of your work. Stay warm and I hop your temperatures improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in
    traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete